18 July 2009

A great response to July 7 problems

Every company has problems. In my opinion, how they respond is an important measure of the company and, when problems are isolated, the response defines how the consumer views the company as much as the problem itself defines the customers' attitude.

About a week ago I emailed Delta and let them know that I'd been delayed on an Atlanta to Detroit leg which caused me to miss my Detroit to Madison flight, that the several hours later flight I was put on had itself been delayed, and as I result I rolled into my hotel room at 2am instead 8pm -- and never got miles credited for the flight. This is Delta's response: she acknowledged the problem, apologized several times, and compensated me. Great response. This was a response far in excess of what I expected. Btw, bold emphasis is mine.

Dear Mr. ______,
RE: Case Number ______

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the service provided while traveling with us on July 7. On behalf of everyone at Delta Air Lines, I sincerely apologize for the numerous service failures you experienced.

I understand the frustration you experienced when your plans were disrupted due to the delay of our flight 1532 from Atlanta for mechanical reasons. I am truly sorry your travel was adversely affected.

I am also very sorry your flight from Detroit was delayed due to the late arrival of the aircraft. Many factors including unexpected maintenance or weather conditions occasionally force us to alter our timetable.

I am truly sorry for the mileage discrepancy you described and the resulting inconvenience you have been caused. ...

It is abundantly clear that your experience on July 7 was far from a shining moment in airline travel and far from the level of service you had every right to expect. We want to respond to any service problems with improvements---not excuses. Please know a formal complaint has been recorded on your behalf and your letter has been shared with the responsible leadership team.

As a gesture of goodwill for the numerous delays you experienced, I have issued an Electronic Transportation Credit (eTCV) in the amount of ...

No comments:

Post a Comment