21 July 2009

7kg limit and my poor little scissors

Things to ponder as my flight to LAX boards.

- 9 times out of 10 I leave my bag of liquids and gels in my carry-on as I go through security. TSA never notices. Voluntary self-declaration of potentially dangerous items without the technology to detect these items when people don't self-declare seems useless.

- Security in Turkey last week detected the very small pair of nail scissors that I've carried for years but said I could take them on. US security has never noticed them. AU security confiscated them.

- Shoes off the feet, in a bin in the UK. On the feet if they are sneakers in Turkey and AU. Out of the bin, on the belt if US (depending on airport, see UK for some airports). Who is providing the best security?

- and finally, Virgin Australia doesn't allow carry-ons of more than 15.4 pounds. They enforce on domestic--sometimes. No charge for checking the bag so what on earth is their rationale?

PS: Thanks to the woman who dumped my glass of apple juice all over me, pillow, and seat as she labored past with her huge floppy purse. I'm off to change my shirt.

2 comments:

  1. Casual travelers do a helluva good job hitting seated passengers on the arm and shoulder with their bags as the go by. AND THEY HAVE NO IDEA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ATL-SFO, last month.

    TSA agent in ATL confiscates my chapstick (actually, Burt's Bees lip balm). Claims it is 15 ounces. It is 1.5 ounces. Now I want to find a 15 ounce tube of lip balm just to see what it looks like...

    SFO-ATL, 4 days later

    TSA agent in SFO calls security over. Middle-aged woman is pulled out of line, and given a lecture about her eyelash curler. She did not get it back.

    Moral: the ATL-SFO route does not allow personal beauty products aboard aircraft.

    ReplyDelete