19 July 2009

Fun on 777 #7106

Just had the pleasure of flying ATL->LAX on Delta's third-newest 777, #7106. Got to spend 10 minutes sitting in the cockpit talking to the captain and first officer. This is really an amazing plane - one engine (for I think $27 million) has the same amount of power on all the engines of a 747. It has a 25:1 glide ratio--if it lost all power at 35,000' it could glide about 175 miles if I am doing the math right. The captain was about #20 in seniority on Delta and had a quiet authority that made me feel I was in great hands.

I was upgraded to a 1st-class lie-flat seat. Very comfortable - except sitting up and lying down! No support for head and top of shoulder in the full upright position, and I think that sleeping on that thing folded all the way down would have been worse than not sleeping in an economy seat. It was hard, not all that flat, and not enough room to curl up at all. But hey -- it was a great seat compared to 44C and the seat controls were really clear, with good adjustable lumbar support and great lighting.

That plane continued on Sydney but I am now waiting for my Virgin Australia flight. For the same price as Delta economy, I got an economy plus seat on VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment