22 October 2009

Delta vs Air Canada to the UK

That headline's not fair--it summarizes two separate flights in the last week.

I took Air Canada and found friendly skies and a great aircraft. Unlike the jets that Delta flies to London, coach seats had
  • A 7" (diagonal) screen on the back of each seat with a slew of movies. (Delta shows 2 movies, 1 at a time, on old screens that hang from the ceiling. Films such as "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past".)
  • A power plug in the back of the seat in front of you for every seat in coach. (Delta usually has it for a few of the front rows, inconveniently located under your seat.)
  • A USB port in the seat in front of you to power the screen from your laptop.
Now, I still couldn't work when the seat in front of me reclined. But, if you are sitting down, my solution was easy and not uncomfortable: I traded seats with the guy in the middle seat and worked for about 6 1/2 hours sitting there. And it was wide enough to be OK. This was a FAR better experience than any Delta flight I've been on to the UK and many other EU destinations.

Upshot: I've got the miles to be Diamond next year. If Air Canada flew from ATL to LON, I'd be on it every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment